Simple Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Simple Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

I know, I know. We are all doing it right now. Yup- it! You know, putting up all our pretty Butternut Squash recipes. I had to join in the fun too! Fall is in the air and it is time to start making my favorite soups. I think at the top of my list is Butternut Squash Soup. It is pure comfort food and you just can't beat the beautiful color. I have adapted this recipe from a bunch of different ones I have come across over the years. I think the last one being from Rindy, over at Kitchen Klique for one of our Supper Clubs years ago. Did you know that during the colder months I enjoy a hot bowl of soup for breakfast? No, how would you know that. But I do. I think it is healthy, filling and one of the only breakfasts that keeps me from dumping my blood sugar by 10:00 AM. Am I the only one who eats soup for breakfast? Try it out for yourself.

By Robin

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 small sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • 1/4 t. mace
  • 1/4 t. ginger
  • 1 t. salt
  • few dashes of freshly ground black pepper
  • 20 ounces fresh butternut squash flesh, I use Trader Joe's
  • 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 T. Butter

Directions:

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat olive oil then add onions, brown sugar, mace, and ginger. Cook until onions are browned and soft. Add squash, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add more salt if necessary. Stir in butter and serve in bowls topped with a garnish of sage leaves and parmesan cheese. Serves 4-6 depending on if it is a main dish or first course.


EmoticonEmoticon