Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Recipe

Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Recipe

The recipe makes 2 loaves. I was going to cut it in half, so we had the one loaf to take to breakfast the next morning. I ended up making both loaves, but we had no problem polishing off the second loaf at home that day!! I followed the recipe, except I didn't have any Dutch Process cocoa, so I used regular cocoa, and it was still delicious. I also didn't add the decorating/sparkle sugar to the topping because I didn't have it.

The biggest complaint I have heard from other blogs was that the cinnamon sugar mixture on top doesn't stay on, and trying to get it to stay on while taking the bread from the pan is quite difficult. This is true, but since you put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, I was able to stick a spatula underneath to get the loaf out instead of turning the pan over. You can always leave off the topping, because the bread is sweet enough without it, but I really liked the crunch it gave the bread.

I guess it went over well at my in-laws, because my mother-in-law emailed me the next day for the recipe. I do know that chocolate and cinnamon is now one of my favorite combinations, and there is nothing better than having that smell in my house while this was cooking!!

By Deborah

Chocolate Cinnamon Bread

from Starbucks and Marcus Samuelsson

Ingredients:

Chocolate Batter

  • 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 5 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups Dutch-processed cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baknig powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baknig soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cocoa-Spice Sugar Crust

  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
  • pinch ground cloves
  • pinch ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup decorating or sparkle sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans and line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.

Make the chocolate batter: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment on medium speed, until light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next and scraping down the sides of the bowl several times.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to butter, beginning and ending with the flour and beating just until blended. Divide the batter between the two pans, shake the pans to even the tops and set aside.

Make the cocoa-spice sugar crust: In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, ginger and cloves. Sprinkle the surfaces of both batters with the cocoa sugar mixture, dividing evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely, run a thin knife around the sides to release the breads and remove from pans.


EmoticonEmoticon