Mushrooms in Sour Cream and Rice Pilaf

Mushrooms in Sour Cream and Rice Pilaf

I have a few favorite dishes I like to make when I have company. They are simple, delicious, and dependable. My family does not eat mushrooms, shame really. I like the little toad stools myself. My college is in Reading, PA very close to mushroom farms, not a good place to be when the wind shifts, so mushrooms were fresh and plentiful. I often brought a few pounds home to make cream of mushroom soup for my parents. Mushrooms in Sour Cream is a wonderful accompaniment to the Chicken Bundles or any savory beef, pork, or other chicken dishes. Rice Pilaf is a family favorite and a company standby. I have made it many times and its simplicity and appeal is appreciated. I hope you enjoy these dishes as much as I.

By Robin

Mushrooms in Sour Cream

Ingredients:

  • 6 T. butter
  • 2 pounds sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onion plus 2 T. more for garnish
  • 1 t. kosher salt
  • 1/2 t. fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:

In a 12 inch skillet over med-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms, green onions, salt and pepper. Stir frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Take off heat and add sour cream. Stir until smooth and cream is heated through. Serve immediately. Serves 6-8.

Rice Pilaf

Ingredients:

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 Vidalia onion, diced
  • 2 cups basmati or jasmine rice, uncooked
  • 2 ounces vermicelli broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 cups good chicken broth
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:

In a large skillet over med-high heat melt butter. To the melted butter add onion, rice, and vermicelli. Stir frequently and cook until the rice, onions, and vermicelli are browned. (Watch closely so as not to burn the whole batch!) Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice tender. Remove to a large bowl and serve immediately. Serves 6-8.


EmoticonEmoticon