Italian and Greek Canapes Recipe
Pomp and Circumstance rang true for the first time in our school's history last week as we graduated the first two seniors of Oak Hill Christian School. We celebrated this meaningful event with about 150 others in attendance. It was a grand night. So much excitement, emotion, and pride as our two seniors commenced confidently into their futures.
I volunteered to make Canapés for the reception following the Commencement Ceremony. I chose one of my favorite stand-bys, Italian Canapés as well as a new one I created based on Peter's Baked Feta, calling them Greek Canapés. I made four trays of canapés which were well received and quickly gobbled up. Canapés are basically made with a base, usually bread, a spread, and garnish but can be dressed up or down depending on your needs, creativity level, and tastes.
- 3/4-1 pound cream cheese- I used the softened kind in the tub
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 packet Good Season's Italian Dressing Mix
- one English Cucumber peeled and sliced thinly
- one French Baguette sliced thinly
- dried dill weed
In a large bowl mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, and dressing mix until smooth. Pipe on or spread a small amount on each piece of bread and top with one slice of cucumber. Sprinkle with dill. Place on tray and cover and chill until ready to serve. Makes about 25-30 pieces.
Note- You can see from the photos that I cut each slice of cucumber through the center but ending just at the edge in order to straddle each piece over the cream cheese mixture.
- 8 ounces feta cheese- I used the brick kind
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 yellow pepper seeded and rough chopped
- 4 T. olive oil
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- French baguette, slice thinly
- chopped red and orange pepper for garnish
- chopped chives for garnish
In a food processor blend the first 6 ingredients until almost smooth. If it is still thick add a bit more olive oil and pulse until smooth. Spread a small amount on each bread slice and garnish with chopped peppers and chives. Makes about 25-30 pieces.
The benefits of serving Canapés:
1. Can be made ahead of time and stored covered in the refrigerator.
2. Very filling and go a long way in feeding large crowds.
3. Economical as bread and a few ingredients are inexpensive.
4. Very simple to make and look impressive on any buffet table.
5. Versatile, use your imagination for other flavor combinations.