Zippy Dogs Recipe

Zippy Dogs Recipe

When I need a quick Potluck treat for kids I turn to Zippy Dogs. My three children are in the school play this Friday: "Alice in Wonderland." Last Friday night they had a cast potluck and viewing of the TV version of the production. Knowing that I would mostly be feeding children I turned to this tried and true favorite that was originally discovered in the Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook by my son Dryden. They were originally called Saucy Franks but I don't think anyone calls them Franks anymore, do they?

We adapted the recipe to meet our tastes by adding a touch more brown sugar and vinegar making a very zippy sauce. This dish reminds me of the hot dog version of a Sloppy Joe. This is a welcomed dish by children and travels well to all potlucks and picnics.

Zippy Dogs

By Robin

Zippy Dogs

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T. dried minced onions
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 16 hot dogs, halved- I like the uncured kind
  • 16 hot dog buns, halved

Directions:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix the first 6 ingredients. Bring to a simmer and add the hot dogs. Simmer 20 minutes with the lid off until sauce is thick and hot dogs cooked through. Place the Zippy Dogs in the buns and place on a platter or in a carrying container. Serve the extra sauce on the side. Makes 32 Zippy Dogs.


EmoticonEmoticon