Corn and Cheese Chowder Recipe

Corn and Cheese Chowder Recipe

This recipe comes from a cookbook that I realized I might have stolen from my mother. I don't know, though, maybe she gave it to me and I just don't remember? I guess I need to get to the bottom of this...Anyhow, it is an old church cookbook - put together with recipes from different women from the church. It's not quite retro, but it was published in 1986, which I can't believe was over 20 years ago! These kinds of cookbooks are the perfect place to go when you are looking for a down home meal. I was looking for recipes to plan my menu, and I opened to the soup section, and this was the first recipe I saw. I don't think I even looked at any other recipes - that one sounded good so why keep looking!?! Plus, corn was at it's peak, and we are big chowder eaters, so I knew this would go over well.

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of chopped ripe pepper, and I had no idea what kind of pepper it meant, so I just chose an Anaheim pepper that looked good at the market. It worked well - but this is really very versatile, and I'm sure any kind of pepper would work. It also calls for canned corn, but I used fresh. I think I used about 3 ears of corn, and it was the perfect amount.

By Deborah

Corn and Cheese Chowder

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery with 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 (16 oz.) can whole kernel corn (I used fresh corn, cut off the cob)
  • 1/4 cup chopped ripe pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar)
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Fry bacon and drain. Set aside. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from pan. Add onion, celery, celery leaves, green and ripe pepper, and bay leaf. Saute about 8 minutes or unitl vegetables are tender-crisp. Mix in flour and add corn, milk, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until soup boils and is slightly thickened. Before serving, stir in 1 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bacon pieces over individual servings.

Serves 4


EmoticonEmoticon