Bratwurst Sliders Recipe

Bratwurst Sliders Recipe

I like this photo in all its grainy glory. Kind of 1960-ish looking. That is my hand making the second slider in my Trio of Sliders. The first slider was the Teriyaki Turkey Sliders that were a huge hit with my family. It seems they like the mini version of burgers. This week I made Bratwurst Sliders. My son asked me if I chopped up bratwursts and squished it into patties. Nope. I made them from scratch from a recipe I developed to mimic wiesswurst.

I like weißwurst (wiesswurst- white sausage) they are my favorite form of bratwurst, not only for their nutmeg taste but because while in Germany they were fantastic to munch while shopping at the Christkindl Markets during Advent. You can smell the brats grilling and the Glühwein (German mulled red wine) for blocks away. And that glühwein. The first year I downed 2 mugs just to get warm, all the while my German friends were telling me to slow down. "Pish posh!" I said. "The alcohol cooks off!" After another block, I had my coat off and could not walk a straight line. I never lived it down. This was a memory provoking second in my Trio of Sliders. It was a great meal served with German mustard- senf, sauerkraut and dill pickles. I also served a big bowl of delicious grapes; the grapes have been great this year, sweet and crispy.

I have found the best way to make a slider into the perfect size is to use an ice cream scoop to form them. Scoop out your meat and place in a hot skillet.

Bratwurst Sliders

Using the bottom of a flat-bottomed glass, press the meat balls flat. The meat will stick to the glass but nothing a little shimmy from a knife can't fix. Cook patties at least 3 minutes on each side. Serve in tiny rolls. I used brotchen, German rolls with that chewy interior and crispy crust exterior they were perfect. Whole Foods has a delicious organic German Mustard in their 365 brand.

Bratwurst Sliders 2

By Robin

Bratwurst Sliders

Ingredients:

  • 20 ounces lean ground turkey
  • 1 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1 t. Kosher salt
  • 1/8 t. onion powder
  • 1/4 t. mustard powder
  • 1/4 t. black pepper
  • 1 T. German Mustard, or a nice brown mustard
  • 1 T. olive oil

Directions:

In a large bowl blend all ingredients well. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out individual sized portions of the meat and place in hot skillet. Flatten with the bottom of a glass. The patties should be about 2 1/2 inches across. Cook at least 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Serve in small rolls with sauerkraut and mustard. Must have pickles! Makes about 14 sliders.

Note - If you ever want to taste your ground meat mixture to test for seasoning, pinch off a small amount of the raw mix, enough to make a one inch ball and cook that small amount in a skillet until it is cooked through. Taste your sample and re-adjust seasonings if needed. Always start low with you seasonings, you can always add more!

I am thinking about my third slider to complete my Trio. I have visited the flavors of Japan and Germany with the last two, so where should I go next? Greece? Hmmm.


EmoticonEmoticon