Black Raspberry Galette Recipe

Black Raspberry Galette Recipe

This kind of dessert is either a galette or a rustic tart. I think galette may not be as accurate but does sound prettier. Say I am asked what I was bringing to a potluck and I answer "a rustic tart," one may think I am bringing my old auntie who makes plastic canvas toilet paper covers. So I would rather say galette as it sounds more mysterious and romantic. This one crust type tart is very simple to make and highlights fresh berries very well since it does not use ingredients to mask, thicken, or macerate the berries.

I had purchased some black raspberries from a farm stand near my church and wanted to make something special but very simple and elegant with the berries. By choosing this type of dessert, I found it enhanced the fresh berries perfectly and went together quickly since not much fuss was made over the crust nor the berries.

Black Raspberry Galette

By Robin

Black Raspberry Galette

Ingredients:

  • one frozen pie crust sheet- or homemade*
  • 2 cups berries, washed and dried
  • 1 1/2 T. white sugar
  • cinnamon
  • one egg yolk
  • butter
  • hail sugar or large crystal sugar, optional

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking stone with parchment paper. Place defrosted pie crust on parchment paper. Roll out a little. Place berries in the center. Sprinkle with sugar and a little cinnamon, just a little. Dot with about 1-2 T. butter. Fold edges over the berries but leaving a hole in the center, see top picture (we ate half of it before we photographed it!) Brush with egg yolk that has been beaten with about 2 tsp. of water. Sprinkle with hail sugar or large crystal sugar if you would like or with a little regular white sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream. Serves 4-6.

*Note - I used Trader Joe's frozen pie crust that comes in 2 round sheets, I used one. You may use a refrigerated pie crust sheet too or make your own. You will obviously NOT use a frozen pie crust already in a pie pan, just wanted to get that straight.


EmoticonEmoticon