Yeast Biscuits Recipe

Yeast Biscuits Recipe

My Ma made these first and now I think the whole family makes these biscuits. They are something between a biscuit and a dinner roll. Light like a biscuit, but doughy like a roll. One of my favorite ways to serve these is with some ham and honey butter. A good old fashioned Ham Biscuit. Now that is a meal right there. Serve these with brunch or with Sunday Dinner, they will not disappoint. Make some now, make some later. I love the convenience of this biscuit. Roll. Biscuit. Roll. Biscuit.

Yeast Biscuits

By Robin

Yeast Biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 5+ cups AP flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 T. yeast
  • 3 T. warm water
  • 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature

Directions:

Place yeast in water. Mix yeast mixture with buttermilk, sugar and salt. Set aside. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Cut in butter. Add liquid ingredients. Mix lightly. I do this in my stand mixer with a dough hook. I mix until it all comes together. It you feel it is too wet add a little more flour. I used about 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 cups flour. Do not knead. Refrigerate overnight in a ziptop bag that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. When ready to bake, pull off amount needed and knead slightly, roll out on floured surface, and cut into biscuits. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter as that is what I had. No need to allow the biscuits to rise. Bake in preheated 450° oven for 9-10 minutes. Makes about 36 biscuits depending on the size of your cutter.

Note - The dough can be refrigerated up to 5 days. Pinch off as much as you need. Also can be rolled out, cut, and frozen individually on a sheet pan, then stored in a ziptop bag in the freezer for future use. Let defrost about 20 minutes then bake as directed.


EmoticonEmoticon