Warm Yam and Chickpea Salad

Warm Yam and Chickpea Salad

This recipe in its many forms has been circling around the food blogs and I thought I would join the hoopla. So glad I did as I discovered a delicious ORANGE recipe to help me Eat A Rainbow. We will celebrate Mr. ROY G. BIV's second letter in his name with this delicious Yam Salad.

Orange fruits and vegetables include yellow apples, apricots, cantaloupe, grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines, butternut squash, carrots, yellow peppers, pumpkin, summer squash, sweet corn, yams and sweet potatoes. Orange you glad Newton added orange to the rainbow? The members of the orange family contain beta-carotene an antioxidant responsible for boosting the immune system.

By Robin

Warm Yam and Chickpea Salad

Directions:

  • 6 yams peeled and cubed
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • Kosher salt to taste

Directions:

In a large pot boil yams until tender. Drain and put yams back into the pot. Sprinkle with about 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt. Mix well. Add and mix well:

1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas

1/2 chopped red onion

1 bunch cilantro washed and chopped

Tahini Sauce

Tahini Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 3 T. fresh lemon juice
  • 2 T. water
  • 3 T. well stirred tahini
  • 3 T. olive oil

Directions:

Mix the above ingredients using an immersion blender or in a regular blender and fold into salad. Garnish salad with cilantro.

I did not roast my yams so it had the consistency of potato salad but next time I would like to try roasting the yams. I used yams instead of pumpkin, butternut squash or sweet potatoes because that is what I had and I very much enjoyed the sweetness in contrast with the sauce and onions. This is a very versatile and delicious dish. Give it a try and see what version you come up with.


EmoticonEmoticon