Waffles Recipe

Waffles Recipe

I love waffles. I love peaches. So I really love it when you put the two together!!

I might be posting every day through the end of this month. I have so many dishes that I want to blog about (like this waffle post that has been sitting on my computer for over a month), plus a Daring Bakers post coming up on Monday, plus the last of my adventures with my first Cookbook of the Month. So here goes!!

Peaches are no longer at their prime here, but as I mentioned above, I made this over a month ago. I bought a box of peaches because I wanted to try my hand at making peach jam. So I did it, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be!! I wasn't sure how much jam the recipe I was using would yield, so I just went to town on the peaches. The most labor intensive part of making the jam was peeling and chopping the peaches, but it really wasn't that bad. But I ended up with a HUGE bowl full of peaches, and in the end, I ended up with a TON of jam. So I'm guessing that my friends and family will be receiving jam for Christmas this year!! I ended up making 2 batches. In the first batch, I added some vanilla bean seeds at the very end, but I haven't tried the vanilla version yet. I will report back when I do.

So what to do with the rest of the peaches?? I made a pie, and still had quite a few, and I didn't want these wonderful peaches to go to waste. So I made breakfast on a Saturday morning. I don't usually make breakfast. Not that I don't like it - but my husband is just the designated breakfast-maker. But I wanted to use the peaches, and my husband was going golfing, so I whipped up a batch of waffles for him to eat before he left.

This is my all-time favorite waffle recipe. What makes it different? Most of the waffles I have ever had are quite heavy and very filling. These are very light. In fact, my brother in law came over (he was going golfing with my husband) so I offered him some waffles to eat before they left. He accepted, but only took one square. After eating it, he told me that he only took one square because he is usually not a waffle lover because of how heavy they are, but these were definitely different. He ended up eating more. :)

We ate these with some of the peach jam and with fresh peaches on top. Mmmmm, now I'm craving waffles!!

By Deborah

Waffles

from the New Baking Book by Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 2 egg whites

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.

In another medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy.)

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not overmix.

Cook on waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions.


EmoticonEmoticon