Perfect Potato Salad Recipe

Perfect Potato Salad Recipe

There are so many different styles of potato salads out there. But I like the traditional recipe made with a mayonnaise base, celery, onions, eggs, and sweet relish. Don't get me wrong, a good new potato salad with a Ranch Base, cheese, bacon and green onion is another favorite but when I think of a good ole cookout I think of a more traditional potato salad. This recipe does it for me. It is from one of my favorite cookbooks, my old, old church cookbook. The recipe comes from a sweet Southern Belle, Juanita. Sadly Jaunita is gone but I have a few of her wonderfully homey recipes. One of our favorites from her is Creamed Chicken which I will have to blog about soon as it is probably our family's most favorite supper. Well give this potato salad a try, it is simple and delicious.

By Robin

Perfect Potato Salad

Ingredients:

  • 5 cups cubed potatoes, about 4-5 large potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped vidalia onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup sweet pickles, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 4 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Directions:

In a large pot, cover potatoes and eggs (in their shells) with water, cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender but not mushy. While potatoes are cooking measure out the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Drain the cooked potatoes, peel and chop eggs. While the potatoes and eggs are hot add to the rest of the ingredients, stirring well. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed. Let cool on counter one hour then transfer to the refrigerator and chill. It is even better the next day.


EmoticonEmoticon