Good Ole Fashioned Creamed Chicken

Good Ole Fashioned Creamed Chicken

Ever since I started blogging my children have asked, "Mom have you blogged about Creamed Chicken?" "No I haven't, why?" "Well you should, it is one of the best dinners you make." I am finally getting around to posting the Robin Sue Family Stand-by: Creamed Chicken. It is a simple dish really. Humble, quiet, dependable. I have dressed it down. I have dressed it up. But no matter how Creamed Chicken is served it brings smiles of contentment to my table.

Creamed Chicken is a recipe from a treasured, old church cookbook I own. The recipe was donated by Juanita Fish. She was the most delightful lady and splendid cook. Juanita is no longer with us and years after her death, while her husband Joe was visiting another family friend, that friend asked, "Joe, what would you like for supper tonight?"

"Make me Juanita's Creamed Chicken if you will, I haven't had it since before she died." Joe dined on Creamed Chicken that night.

I have served this dish over toast, puffed pastry, buttered noodles, baked potatoes, rice, biscuits, and mashed potatoes. I have served it to just my family or have served huge pots of it to a crowd and no matter what it is poured over, I get raves for this homey meal. Reheats perfectly as leftovers too. I have even taken leftovers and added peas, carrots, browned onion, cooked potato cubes and a little more milk, poured it in a pie plate, topped it with a crust and had a wonderful Chicken Pot Pie. Put it in your rotation especially during these colder months.

Creamed Chicken

By Robin

Creamed Chicken

Ingredients:

  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken- about 3-4 chicken breast halves
  • fresh thyme leaves from one sprig, or 2 pinches ground thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large pot over medium high heat, melt butter. To melted butter, whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Add the thyme. Turn heat down to medium and cook until thickened. Add chicken then salt (I use about 2 t. Kosher salt) and pepper to taste. Serve hot over baked puffed pastry shells, toast, or buttered noodles. Also good over rice, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, or biscuits. We also like ours with peas on the side or placed over top. If you add the peas to the pot of creamed chicken, the flavor will get too pea-ish. Unless you like pea-ish!

Serves 6.


EmoticonEmoticon