Cheddar Biscuits and Bunny Hutter Recipe

Cheddar Biscuits

Sunday evening Himself and I went to Wolf Trap to see an Emmylou Harris concert. I was not a fan of her music, as I really have never listened to her before, until Sunday, and I have to say, I am a fan now. She has a great voice. It was a company event and it was decided that we would do a potluck style picnic. Once someone volunteered to bring fried chicken (homemade mind you and delicious, I would have shamelessly gone to KFC!) the menu fell quickly into place. I volunteered to bring the Cheddar Biscuits and Bunny Hutter and my coleslaw. Others brought pasta salad, potato salad, and taco salad as well as some fruit and cookies.

These little biscuits are real special. I used a heart-shaped cutter as I did not have a round one and everyone loved the happy hearts. I packaged the biscuits in pairs in waxed sandwich bags while still warm. Also individually packaged the Bunny Hutter with little spready spoons. We had so much fun we should have been arrested. Oh and what topped off the night was a full rainbow just as the sun was setting.

By Robin

Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 4 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. cream of tartar
  • 2 t. sugar
  • 1/2 cup chilled butter
  • 2/3 cup half and half
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, and sugar; cut in small pieces of butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream little by little; stir only till dough follows fork around bowl. Then blend in cheese until well mixed. Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead gently. Roll to 1/2 inch think and cut using a 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on cookie sheets and bake at 450° for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 12 biscuits.

Note - On Sunday I 3 1/2 x the recipe for 45 biscuits. The key to light and flaky biscuits is to mix until they just come together, no more. These biscuits freeze well, raw or baked.

Bunny Hutter

Bunny Hutter

Ingredients:

  • one stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup honey

Directions:

In a small bowl mix butter and honey until well blended. Serve with biscuits. Refrigerate leftovers.

Aside - Himself and I are a bit leery of snakes lately, so as we walked to Wolf Trap, I kept making all kinds of noise from stomping my feet and clapping to calling "here snakey, snakey!" At one point we stepped into some tall grass and I yelled "snake" just to let those snakes know who's boss but Himself went straight up in the air thinking I saw a snake. It is hard to spook Himself but I pulled it off for the first time in 15 years!


EmoticonEmoticon