Arrollado con Dulce de Leche

Arrollado con Dulce de Leche

This cake is my new excuse to keep a couple of cans of Dulce de Leche on hand. In an earlier post I explained how nicely our little school cookbook came out. The recipes sounded so mouth watering, I started to try some right away. The Mexican Style Shredded Pork was so fantastic that I will definitely be making it again. One of my coworkers makes this cake roll, a traditional Spanish treat, and brings it in for her students. The other day I got my first taste of it and decided that it would be the next recipe from our cookbook to try. I made this cake in 20 minutes, that included mixing, baking and rolling! I went out to run some errands and by the time I got home it was cool enough to slice and plate. My new quicky dessert. It is so pretty and decadent, your friends and family will think that you spent all day.

By Robin

Arrollado con Dulce de Leche

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup self rising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 eggs (separated)
  • 1 t. Vanilla
  • One can dulce de leche, 13.4 ounces

Directions:

Beat egg whites until fluffy add sugar until soft peaks form, then add egg yolks, flour, and vanilla. Line an 11x15x1 inch jelly roll pan with wax paper, be sure a little over laps to assist with rolling later. Spray lightly with Pam. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden and cake springs back when touched. Remove from oven and while still hot, drop spoonfuls of dulce de leche over top of cake. Wait a minute then spread evenly. Grabbing the long end of the wax paper start rolling the cake toward you while pulling the wax paper free. Once rolled tight, wrap with the wax paper and let cool. Once cooled slice and place on pretty platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serves 10-12.

Note - If you do not have self-rising flour then to one cup of all purpose flour add 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp baking soda.


EmoticonEmoticon